Sunday, January 1, 2012

Siem Reap

Well we arrived in Siem Reap yesterday. It reminds me a lot of the Philippines where mum comes from, although being a provincial town it's nowhere near as busy as Manila.

Oh I forgot - a photo from KL. A phone near the toilet just in case you get stuck!


We were picked up by a driver from our hotel in a 'tuk tuk' which is a very popular mode of transport here.


The traffic is just amazing. There doesn't seem to be a strict observance of road rules but everyone seems to get to where they need to go without too many issues. There are not heaps of traffic lights but their ones over here have a countdown timer - both for the red and green, which is cool.


We went to the market earlier today and saw the sights and smelled the smells! There were heaps of stalls with everything from food to shoes, sunglasses, collectables and t-shirts. I thought this t-shirt was pretty cool...




not sure whether these food sellers just plonked  themselves there or whether they were paying rent
I wanted to try some shoes on but I was scared that the pile might collapse... and kill me
I just love checking out other cultures and seeing how other people live. Anything from food, transport, hospitality - I know it's pretty obvious but it's just different and it's just really cool to experience it. People have been really friendly and they love it when we have a crack at speaking Khmer.

I think in Australia we should definitely get more motorbikes - and stack more people on to them.

4 people is the most I've seen on a moto... I'm aiming for 5.


Tomorrow we are checking out some temples at Angkor Wat. It will be a big day but I'm looking forward to it. The last time I went overseas was 15 years ago and Em was laughing at me yesterday 'cause I'm just lapping everything up like a little kid. I don't mind, I'm having a blast - it's good to be away.

stone carving of Angkor Wat which took 5 years to complete


3 comments: