Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Kampong Thom - journey or destination?

I don't know about you, but I always like getting to a place. Whether it was driving with my family to Narrabean, NSW as a kid for Christmas or getting to where I'm going on a holiday, I always like arriving at the destination.

Over the past two days we decided to do something a little different. Ordinarily we would have travelled direct by taxi from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh (about four hours). This time we decided to stop at a place called Kampong Thom - about half way to Phnom Penh... and I'm really glad we did.

I wasn't sure what to expect because after doing a bit of Googling and being advised by Trip Advisor - it seemed there were only four hotels, six restaurants and three attractions in the whole place. Part of me wondered if it was even worth stopping. In the end, we decided it would be good to see somewhere different, a place where none of us had been before.

After checking-in and some lunch we thought we'd utilise the free bike hire provided by the hotel. On our bikes we made our way to check out the bridge that was built using money from the Australian Government.



It made be feel proud that foreign aid from Australia had been used to help with infrastructure over here, something that while improving, is still lacking.



Riding down some of the back streets it was a privilege to see people at home, just living life - eating meals, running their business, playing with their kids etc. I don't remember seeing a family gathered around a television or with their heads buried in their technology... but maybe it does still happen.

Last night for tea we ate at a restaurant called Run Amok (Amok is a traditional Khmer dish served with either fish or chicken). It was run by a New Zealander and his Cambodian wife. My two red-headed travelling companions really enjoyed their cheeseburgers and I my pizza... Apparently the Khmer menu is coming soon :) The lady was telling us that no-one really stops in Kampong Thom. She was also telling us about the various temples and attractions that are nearby. She also sold me on a large mango smoothie because her mum had just brought the mangoes that day and they were really good.

The girls keep telling me off because I'm always preaching... but I write this blog not to preach but just to share stuff I'm journeying with. I think sometimes we can be so focussed on getting somewhere that we miss out on all the beauty and the wonder in between. I think sometimes we can be so focussed on getting to where we want to go that we miss the beauty of where we are right now. I'm just so glad we stopped in Kampong Thom. I'm glad we slowed down and took in the city and its people, even just for a little while. It has been a definite highlight of the trip so far.

P.S. I think the girls are having a better time than when they last caught up... see below.



No comments:

Post a Comment