Monday, May 13, 2013

Random Thoughts

This is my first post from my mobile phone. We're here at Kuala Lumpur International Airport on a three hour stopover.
We had a great time in Cambodia and I'm a little sad to be leaving but I'm also excited about going back to the Philippines for the first time since 1997.
I love being in Asia and experiencing different cultures. One thing I'm interested in observing is occupational health and safety or lack thereof. Perhaps it's just a lack of safety in general. Things like people balancing on bamboo scaffolding or severely overloaded vehicles.
Yesterday we saw a family riding a motorbike and the father had a small child in a baby carrier. There were four people on the moto in total. I might have been a bit shocked had I not got used to seeing a bunch of other unsafe stuff.
It got me thinking (and I'm not sure why) about safety and our need to try and control things. Sure, it was easy to look at these Cambodians and think they were being a bit reckless. But then I was thinking even if we try to be as safe as we can and protect those who we love we need to face the fact that much of life... indeed much of our existence is out of our control.
I'm not saying we should just be unsafe because that would be irresponsible, I guess it was just a realisation for me about the fragility of life.
So, should we worry? I haven't found worry that useful to be honest.
Matthew 6:27 NIV
Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
My response is to try & control as much as I can and worry about the stuff I can't control. My response should be to trust in something a lot bigger than myself, someone who truly is in control.


No comments:

Post a Comment